Disney says ‘no merit’ to Malaysia resort company lawsuit


Disney says 'no merit' to Malaysia resort company lawsuit
Genting Theme Park is pictured at Genting Highland Resort in Pahang, Malaysia, Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2018. (AP Photo)

Resort developer Genting Malaysia’s lawsuit looking for $1 billion in damages from Walt Disney Co. and Fox Entertainment Group for alleged breach of contract associated to a theme park, is “without merit,” Disney stated Tuesday.

The lawsuit filed Monday within the Central California District Court cites damages from Fox’s withdrawal from an settlement set in 2013 to license its mental property for a Fox World theme park in Resort World Genting, a sprawling facility perched on a mountain in Malaysia.

The theme park would have been Fox’s first. According to Genting’s criticism, Fox issued a “notice of default” aimed toward ending the settlement.

Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox apparently raised points as a result of Genting’s resort features a on line casino, which conflicts with Disney’s stance in opposition to playing.

“The claims made against Disney in this matter are utterly without merit,” Disney stated in an emailed assertion.

Despite disagreements over the precise phrases of the deal, Genting stated Fox had no grounds to pull out. The criticism additionally alleges that Disney and 21st Century Fox interfered with the contract and prompted Twentieth Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising, a part of Fox Entertainment, to breach it.

Genting says it has invested almost $180 million within the Fox undertaking. Its most up-to-date quarterly report stated the group was centered on growing its resort and on making ready to roll out the “highly anticipated 20th Century Fox World Theme Park” in addition to one other attraction, the Skytropolis indoor theme park.

The opening of the Fox themed park had been deliberate for the primary half of 2019.

Source link

Reply