Published: February 7, 2020 3:00:48 pm
Living via fixed knee joint ache could be difficult. The knee capabilities to permit motion of the leg and is essential to regular strolling. The cartilage or fluids crammed between the joint helps in its easy motion. The complexity of the design and the incontrovertible fact that it’s an energetic weight-bearing joint are components in making the knee considered one of the mostly injured areas. And throughout accidents, the ligaments, cartilage and menisci get effected.
Chondromalacia and osteoarthritis are two widespread knee circumstances in India, that may trigger ache usually. While the signs are nearly comparable, the age group and motive differ.
What are chondromalacia and osteoarthritis?
Chondromalacia patellae or runner’s knee is a dysfunction of the cartilage, significantly of the joints and principally impacts the knee. If the individual is energetic on his or her ft for a very long time or has at all times been bodily energetic it may well result in cartilage degeneration.
Meanwhile, osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint illness which causes knee ache in ageing people. It happens when there’s harm in and round the joints that the physique can not totally restore, nonetheless in runner’s knee the situation could be handled utterly in a span of six months or a 12 months. Whereas with osteoarthritis it’s principally a lifelong downside which could be diminished with correct care however can’t be eradicated utterly.
“In most cases of chondromalacia, pain is the common symptom which revolves in and around the knee cap. It usually occurs while taking the stairs, kneeling, squatting or high impact activities. The patient might feel the sensation of cracking while bending or even extending the knee,” explains Dr Jayateerth Kulkarni, Orthopedic, Fortis Hospitals.
The danger components related to osteoarthritis are:
* Excessive weight achieve
* Gender, because it’s widespread in Indian girls
* Repetitive stress accidents
The danger components related to runner’s knee are:
* Flat ft
* Previous accidents
* High exercise ranges
“It causes muscle imbalance in and around the knee due to degeneration of cartilage and mal-alignment of the knee or the knee cap,” remarks Dr Kulkarni.
Treatment of osteoarthritis
* Weight loss
* Anti-inflammatory medicine
* Support braces and knee cap
* Physical and occupational remedy
Treatment of chondromalacia
* The runner’s knee is at all times handled with a protocol known as “RICE” — Rest- Ice Packs- Crepe Bandage and Elevation together with correct treatment and dietary supplements.
* It is advisable to keep away from vigorous bodily workout routines which can trigger discomfort to the knee.
* Physiotherapy like ultrasonic therapeutic massage and scorching packs helps to subdue the ache.
* If in any respect there isn’t a reduction from the above measures, on the recommendation of the physician, the affected person can bear a surgical procedure known as arthroscopic surgical procedure, which removes the free and frayed cartilage.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and keep up to date with the newest headlines
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd